Monday, April 12, 2010

Never say never...

As far as I remember I have always been able to imagine myself working in different places; firms and countries; but not at school. The sound of the word teacher gave my the creeps. I couldn't understand people who made a conscious decision to become a member of the staff and to deal with a crowd of noisy students day by day. I thought it is necessary to be extremelly patient and strict at the same time in order to get the learners to respect you. I've defended my opinion up to the hilt till one sunny day at in the middle of September. I changed my mind as soon as I switched places with my English teacher at the primary school in my hometown. I stood in front of the "little bastards" sitting behind their desks staring at me and my first impression was that I would not manage to conduct that lesson. Hardly could I think about those students in a different way than as juicy creatures eager to spoil my lesson and undermine the effort that I had made during the preparation. What made my bewildered was the fact that I was completely wrong in my attitude. The kids turned out to be awesome. If they had not been so full of possitive energy, the lesson would probably not pass like a blink of an eye. I realized that this was a group of children who desired only little attention to themselves, their opinions, their problems and needs. Each of them wanted to be noticed, to be praised and listened to.
From the perspective of time I' m ready to confess that working as a teacher might be even more pleasurable than I expected. As I have always sworn not to become one of them, now I am not so sure about my future...

3 comments:

  1. WORD girl! I was sure I'd never join the dark side, but sth changed in me and starting September I'll be teaching "little bastards", and to tell you the truth I'm kinda happy about it :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! So you will have a chance to see whether this other side is really so dark as we think. Maybe, to your amazement, it will turn out to be the best choice that you have ever made ;) Let me know how you will be dealing with such a drudgery ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me, there is a lot to enjoy in teaching, as long as you really want to do it. Fingers crossed for both of you, then :)

    ReplyDelete